Friday, May 22, 2020

5/22/2020 A Nasty Little Fence


    I worked for this gal Janet one day. She wanted me to fix the den cieling,  it had water damage. My husband fIushed some face cloths and hand towels down the toilet, why I asked? She said he had alzheimers. Several years prior, she came home from work and he wasn't there. He comes in 1/2 hr later. Well were you been, delivering the mail, he says. She said just put it the box and raise flag and postman will take care of it. No I'm doing it. At the time she didn't think much about it. Looking back, it was the time that alzheimers was making an inroad. A year after I fixed the cieling, he died. Janet was in her 80's but she was quick witted and ambulatory. One day she says come look in this bedroom. The bed just had a sheet on it. When she was making bed a drop of water hit the bed. I look at ceiling, just a slight mark of the paint. I go to roof, no holes. I get a drill with 18 in bit and drive it through cieling, then disengage the bit from the drill, leaving bit stuck in cieling. I go into attic and see the bit sticking out of the insulation. I took another bit lined it up with bit poking through insulation and drill up through the roof. I went on top of roof and removed the shingle and found the hole. Patched everything up, good as new.  If there's a will there's a way!

    Her adult daughter would joke about this t v comercial, I've fallen and I can't get up. In the end, she never got her that neckless with the button you press for help. Janet had this one foot high metal fence that went around her patio. She would step over it, to attend to the bird feeder. I would always say let me get rid of the fence. She would always say no. On a cool day, it bit her. She went for a tumble. She crawled to the sliding glass door but could not stand up to open it. She spent 6 hrs on that cold concrete pad, until her neighbor got home from work. She broke her ankle. Took another fall in the house 6 mos later that put her in a home where she quickly died. The first stumble over the fence was what did her in.

    This didn't have to be this way. Look ahead for potential pitfalls and then address them. Don't be so adamant about it. Think... Look... and... Listen... before making a decision. Let spirit help guide you along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment