Sunday, April 12, 2020

4/11/20 20. Monkey. See



    I remember when there was a comercial on tv, that showed a close relationship between father and son. They were doing fun activities together. The father then unrolls a pack of cigarettes from his short sleeve shirt and removes a cigarette out, puts it in his mouth and lights it. The 6 yr old tow head then lifts up the pack of cigs and gives it a quizzical look. Ain't that the truth.


     One bright sunny day, I was in this huge park, enjoying the weather and the hundreds of people milling about. Off to the right of me, stood a heavy steel garbage can. A 7 y r old girl was just finishing her hot dog, she takes the wrappings and tosses them hard upon the ground. They land only 3 ft from the trash can. I rush over and like a windmill I go down with my hand grabbing the refuse and dropping it into the can in one full swoop. I didn't say a word. The mother was10' away and she didn't say anything either. The girl looked stunned. I was still nearby doing what I was doing. A couple minutes later the girl was done with her drink, she walks it over to the trash can and plops it in, looking at me as she did it with a little smile. I just nodded my head in an affirmative. No words spoken throughout the encounter.



    I alIways went to work the same way. I passed over this very small bridge with woods to the left and right. I would notice litter here all the time,  this place was the favorite dumping ground, I said the town should do something about this. Another month went by and it was getting worse. I said the town isn't going to get it done. I'm the one who wants it done, i'm the one to do it. The day came and I was prepared with sturdy plastic bags in hand, I set to work. Spent a little over an hour and left bags to the side of road. I looked at my handiwork, and boy did I f eel good. Mother Nature put back together.

    Two days later, someone took the bags. A year later, I was driving toward bridge and saw a guy and daughter with plastic bags cleaning the same offending area. Boy, did that feel just great.

No comments:

Post a Comment