Monday, September 14, 2026

9/14/2026. A Hickup

          Last Tuesday, I stepped on the scale 219. First time in a very long time. I entered the teens. That day I went to have my rear brakes done on the car. My mechanic cancelled on Friday. Always delays of late. Like for the last 8 mos. So, this day is hot near 90. The restaurant is a short walk. Take my wife there. Everything is expensive. Order cheapest burger for 13.50. At one time I could get a steak at that price. My wife gets a side order of pasta 8 bucks. I bite into the burger with cheese and bacon and  I get squirted with an orange liquid on my hand. Yolk! What the??? Didn't read there was an egg on it. Still it was a good burger. I had a little potato salad and some of my wife's pasta that she was done with.  The brakes got done, finally. Next day step on the scale,and 222 staring back at me. A week later  today Monday, I'm at 220 pounds. One pound heavier. Losing weight is a serious business. The burger was real good but you pay the price. I'm now back on the diet. Three meals a day and fruit for a snack. Dropping 22 pounds, I do see the difference and it does keep me motivated.

         Today  my car is getting a new water pump and timing belt. If the belt were to break the motor would be screwed. This 4 cylinder Hyundai has 208,000 miles on it. First owner got it in a wreck and it got fixed. The second owner also got in an accident. Messed up the hood and trunk. That didn't get fixed. In the manual it says to replace the belt at 90,000 miles. I doubt that ever happened. I've owned at least 29 vehicles and never got a timing belt replaced on any of them. I called around to service stations. One guy wanted 1300 for parts and labor. I took to the Internet and found parts for 50 dollars up to 200. I found the name of a good timing belt and water pump kit for 123 dollars. I got that one. Most service stations won't install customer parts. My guy will. Took me over a year to find my guy. He's working on it today. So total price would be 630 instead of 1300.

          When looking for something, think about what you're willing to spend and try to keep near it. Whether it costs 5 bucks or  1,000 and up. Check online and ask questions of friends or people who are associated with what ever you're after. I've made mistakes along these lines but I'm getting smarter.

           One other cavette I have here. I noticed there are alot of car washes around. Seems like they want their cars to look good. Yet, they drive crazy. I see more damaged cars being driven around then the last place I lived at, on the east coast.

           I've been seeing these signs for years,  be careful with motorcycles. Been seeing that a long time. So, it is always in the back of my mind. Drive up to a 4 way stop. Motorcycle guy to my left pulls up. So, it's my turn to enter the intersection. The guy pulls into the intersection cutting me off. I don't say or do anything. I'm in a Walgreens. Not too many cars in lot. You have to pull in toward a curb to the left next to the store or to the right next to the bushes. I pick the store side. Front in. To pull out front wise I'd have to back in. After the store, I get back in and check mirrors. All good back up and hit the brakes. Just missed this blue car backing up at the same time as me. I pull forward . No hit. Jeeze. I guess next time I better back in. Now, I'm thinking this all the time when parking.

No comments:

Post a Comment